You Know How it Spreads
- There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
- The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus.
- The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
- These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
Take steps to protect yourself
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 40 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
Avoid close contact
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
Cover coughs and sneezes
- Throw used tissues in the trash.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
- Immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, clean your hands with a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
Take steps to protect others
- Stay home if you’re sickStay home if you are sick, except to get medical care.
- Wear a facemask if you are sick
- Clean and disinfect
- If surfaces are dirty, clean them: Use detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection.